Monday, June 8, 2009

Exterior Vision and Interior Self

Kind of late on sharing these but oh well...


Final self portrait assignment for Color Concepts class. Two Parts. Part A: Draw in black-white/grey scale a realistic depiction of yourself. What the world sees on the outside.
Part B: In color, create a self portrait reflecting who you really are; what others normally may not see.
Then we had to write a paper about Part B and why we used the colors we did and meaning.

Got an A on entire project though I don't feel I did my best on either drawings.



The main colors used in my self portrait are brown, orange, blue, turquoise, and purple.

Brown wasn’t only chosen because it’s the natural color of my hair but, is also a neutral, down-to-earth color. I consider myself to be a rather all around and open minded woman. The color brown has been associated with such characteristics as dependability and friendliness. I’ve been told before that I can be too friendly and I’ve happily accepted that ‘flaw’.

The orange streaks in my hair represent my vibrant and sociable nature. Orange is mentally stimulating and asks for attention with out screaming for it. I’ve discovered in recent years that my craving for attention is a bigger part of my personality then I used to let on. Orange has a happy medium of attributes from both colors red and yellow. Exuding energy and possibly a slight bit of hidden aggression it balances itself out with the calmness of yellow.

Adding the blue was to do more balancing in my personality. My astrological sign is a Libra, the scales, which denotes my personality to be rather evened out. Blue and orange are not only complimentary; they’re also a contrast of warm and cool colors. Blue is a very likable color in most everyone likes some shade of the color blue. I'd like to assume I'm a rather likeable person. Blue conveys both a strong and calm feeling. Growing up the way I have and through the events I’ve faced I have stayed rather calm in the face of strife. This in turn has made me a stronger woman and will continue to as I grow. Culturally blue is associated with importance, intelligence, stability, unity and confidence.

Turquoise is used in my shirt creates a feminine appeal. I grew up a tomboy yet always had the girly daydreams in my head. Hopeless romantic, wanting to dress up, I just kept repressing it. It wasn’t until the past few years have I began to embrace the girly girl hiding beneath. Turquoise has a personal and cultural connection, specifically turquoise in reference to the mineral. Turquoise is commonly associated with the Middle East where I’m descended from. I can remember vendors selling turquoise jewelry and specifically the turquoise scarabs. This stone is associated with the American Southwest as well. I lived in Arizona for a while and it was an important time in my life. I didn’t realize how much the state had effected me until after I left but I find it a key element in who I am today.

The purple of the jacket is another nod to my astrological sign; the purple and turquoise being complimentary. This purple is a bit on the lighter side giving another suggestion of femininity. Associations include, grace, refinement, and romance; all emotions and concepts I tend to tuck under my skin. Purple is colors that invokes creativity and an artistic mind as well as boost the imagination. The artistic aspect needs no explanation but, I have a horrible habit of daydreaming at a probably unhealthy level. Fun fact, Cleopatra’s favorite color was purple, again tying me back to my Egyptian heritage. Most specifically, purple is the color of mystery. One could know me for years and still not know who I am. I like to have that mystery. I like to hope that it keeps me interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment