Monday, August 3, 2009

Ghosts On The Wall.



I have a strange attraction to street art.
Graffiti. Public Murals. Stencil work. Wheatpasting and stickers.
I kind of count posters in this jumble.

I feel like, as artists, our desire to create is part personal need and part the need to share with others.
...If this makes sense...
Street art is the perfect display of this.

With most fine arts, when one displays their artwork [if they do at all] it's usually in a specific setting such as a gallery. This is a limited amount of eyes who'll whiteness your work. Sadly, the average person isn't "into art" at least not enough to go out to a gallery opening. Putting your art on the street pretty much forces the public to see it. You get the message out there. You show off to [most] everyone.

...

wow, I wish I didn't fail so much at explaining my thoughts through written word.

I'm not sure about the rules and laws overseas about street art. I know here it's mostly illegal without special permission. From what I can tell, graffiti and other street art might still be illegal but it seems overall accepted, at least in most European cities.

Here's some Street Artists:

Apex--





Miss Van--






The Mac--







A few years ago I stumbled upon the magazine REFUSED. A small printed art zine with a good collection of graffiti artists included. I know there are others out there. There are also tons and tons of books in stores filled with collected images of street art.

I've been interested in trying my hand at wheatpasting pretty much because I'm not very quick at freehand and I'm sure I couldn't easily handle a spraypaint can. I have a couple of ideas for some images. We'll see if I ever get around to making them a reality.

Just something different to share with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment